Air Evac Lifeteam is a leader in the air ambulance industry, and a leader when it comes to making safety a top priority. Being safe is integral to providing our patients with the quality medical care they deserve and, equally important, a safe work environment for our pilots, nurses and paramedics.
- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) awarded Air Evac Lifeteam's Safety Management System (SMS) the Active Conformance status. This is the highest achievable status in the FAA's Safety Management System Volunteer Program (SMSVP);
- Air Evac Lifeteam is a Just Culture company;
- Air Evac Lifeteam utilizes a Level 7 Flight Training Device for new pilot training and recurrent training for all pilots. Air Evac is one of the only air ambulance operators to require all of its pilots to demonstrate IFR emergency proficiency in a dedicated flight training device;
- By April 2017, Air Evac Lifeteam’s entire fleet of Bell helicopters will be equipped with Cobham HeliSAS/Autopilot and Garmin 500H/650 glass cockpits;
- Air Evac Lifeteam requires all pilots to complete a three-week (approximate) FAA-approved new-hire training program at our centralized training facility. Pilots also complete proficiency training in our simulators every 4 months, and return to the corporate headquarters each year for recurrent training. Pilots must demonstrate proficiency that meets the stringent requirements of the FAA and our company;
- Operations Control Specialists provide real-time management to aid pilots in making real-time decisions regarding potential aircraft, weather and regulatory issues;
- Air Evac Lifeteam is the largest air medical provider in the United States to complete implementation of Night Vision Technology at all of its bases;
- In order to provide a higher level of safety for its crewmembers, Air Evac Lifeteam has made a system-wide commitment requiring helmet usage for all of its crewmembers;
- Air Evac Lifeteam utilizes SkyTrac® satellite tracking systems in its helicopters to enhance the ability to monitor flights on a real-time basis and ensure the safety of both our crews and patients;
- The company’s full-time Safety staff has the responsibility of ensuring that all personnel are well-trained and highly conscious of safe operating procedures;
- The Safety staff participates in industry safety initiatives, including the OSI-HEMS research project, the U.S. Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), FAA safety working groups (including the Rotorcraft Occupant Protection Working Group – ROPWG), and serves as AAMS SMTA faculty instructors;
- Air Evac Lifeteam maintains a company-wide commitment to establishing a safety-focused culture encompassing numerous initiatives;
- Through its robust SMS, Air Evac Lifeteam performs Sentinel Event Analysis on all of its incidents to identify the root cause of the event and make recommendations to eliminate future similar incidents;
- Air Evac Lifeteam is a leader in the air ambulance industry in implementing a system-wide Air Medical Resource Management program. This program is designed to teach crewmembers to work together and communicate better to create an environment where safety is job one.
- Air Evac Lifeteam has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems (CAMTS) since 2008. CAMTS is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality and safety of medical transport systems;
- Successfully accomplished company-initiated, third-party safety audits in 2005, 2007 and 2013 by well-regarded industry experts.